There are many ways to reach the State Capitol in Olympia, Washington. For those traveling by car, parking options are listed below.
For the latest information on parking lot closures or changes, visit the Department of Enterprise Services parking page.
Intercity Transit "Dash" Shuttle.
From I-5 Southbound: Take "Exit 105 to State Capitol", keep left for Exit 105A, and continue .8 miles to the roundabout at Jefferson Avenue. Continue straight through the roundabout and under the tunnel to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).
From I-5 Northbound: From I-5 Northbound: Take Exit 105 and bear left for the State Capitol/City Center exit. Cross over Interstate 5 and continue .3mi to the roundabout at Jefferson Ave. Continue straight through the roundabout and under the tunnel to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).
For more information, call the Department of Enterprise Services office at (360) 902-8880.
Public transportation is also an option even after you've parked your car, and the local bus service (Intercity Transit) in Olympia offers many low-cost routes to the Capitol Campus and other state buildings. Intercity Transit also coordinates with connecting transportation systems in neighboring counties. Following are links to those public transit systems. If you have further questions about public transportation routes to the Capitol Campus or other state buildings, please contact the transit system as listed at the web site:
Detailed Map of Capitol Campus (PDF)
There are eight parking locations available for visitors to the Capitol:
1. Visitor Information Center Parking. The 84-stall lot is available at the Visitor Information Center at 14th Avenue and Capitol Way. The charge is $2.00 per hour. Free Dash shuttle service is offered at this lot. For visitor parking information at other locations on the Capitol Campus grounds, please contact the state government Campus Parking Office at (360) 725-0030 or visit the the
parking web page at DES.
2. North and South Diagonal Parking located along the North and South Diagonal streets on the Capitol Campus. The North Diagonal has 54 stalls. The South Diagonal has 48 stalls. There is a $2.00 per hour charge.
3. General Administration Building located at 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There are 35 visitor parking stalls on the west side (facing Capitol Lake) of the building. There is a $2.00 per hour charge.
4. Natural Resources P1 Parking Lot off Washington Street is metered parking with 204 stalls and offers free Dash shuttle service. There is a $2.00 per hour charge.
5. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Maple Park Avenue and Jefferson Street offers 51 stalls and includes the free Dash shuttle service. Parking is $2.00 an hour.
6. Maple Park Annex Parking Lot off Maple Park Street has metered parking with 14 stalls. Parking is $2.00 an hour.
7. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking in the Plaza Garage at Maple Park and the only stop light on Maple Park offers 35 additional metered parking spaces. Parking is $2.00 per hour.
8. Deschutes Parkway. Intercity Transit serves Deschutes Parkway weekdays every 15 minutes. Other bus routes operate throughout the region and serve the Olympia Transit Center where passengers can transfer to Route 42 bus line for service to the Capitol Campus. For route and schedule information, call (360) 786-1881 or visit
www.intercitytransit.com. The fare is $1.25 for a single ride and $2.50 for an all-day pass. State employees working in Thurston County ride all Intercity Transit services free with a STAR Pass. Intercity Transit also operates a free Dash Shuttle along Capital Way between the Capitol campus and downtown Olympia. Service is every 12 minutes.
Persons with Disabilities: Those needing auxiliary aids or services for purposes of attending hearings or participating in other legislative activities should call the House of Representatives at (360) 786-7271 or the Senate at (360) 786-7189 for further information. 1-800-833-6384 (TTY voice), 711 (TTY).
School Buses (Scheduled) - Parking is available near the Capitol Building for school bus groups who have a scheduled tour through DES's Visitor Services Program.* Parking is located on the South Diagonal, just off Capitol Way. Passengers will be guided to the site where they will meet a tour guide.
School Buses (Unscheduled) - There is no reserved parking available for buses bringing unscheduled school tour groups to the Capitol. Please unload at the Winged Victory Monument traffic circle at the west end of the South Diagonal, then proceed to the parking area along Deschutes Parkway. Return to the Winged Victory Monument shortly before departure time.
Tour and Special Event Buses - Tour/special events buses may not park on the Capitol Campus without prior approval from DES.* Load and unload on Columbia St., between 15th Ave. and Sid Snyder Ave. If full, the Winged Victory Monument traffic circle and South Diagonal can be used as a load/unload area. Once unloaded, park along Deschutes Parkway. At pickup time, please shut off the engine while waiting. Do not block 14th Ave. westbound waiting to enter the Capitol Campus. If traffic is backed-up entering the campus, go right on Capitol Way; then right on 11th Ave.; right on Jefferson St.; and then right again back on to 14th Ave.
Special Needs -
Buses that need special accommodations can drop off and load at the southeast corner of the Legislative Building. No waiting is allowed at this location and drivers must park in either handicapped parking or on Deschutes Parkway.
*DES Visitor Services Program
Legislative Bldg Room 111
Capitol Campus Parking: