Joint Transportation Committee
Public-Private Partnership (P3) Work Group
The 2023-25 Transportation Budget (Sec. 204 (2)) directs the JTC, in collaboration with the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), to convene a Work Group to study and recommend a new statutory framework that seeks to balance the public and private interests for WSDOT's public-private partnership program. The Work Group will review the 2012 JTC P3 report findings; update the 2012 materials and recommendations; draft a rewrite of the Washington State P3 transportation laws; and review specific opportunities for P3 outlined in the study proviso.
The Work Group will include a representative for each of the following entities/groups:
- Joint Transportation Committee Executive Committee Members (or designees)
- Secretary of Transportation (or designee)
- State Treasurer (or designee)
- Representative of a national nonprofit organization specializing in public-private partnership program development
- Representative of the construction trades
- Representative from an organization representing general contractors.
For this study the JTC has contracted with a consulting team led by CDM Smith. The Work Group must submit a preliminary report by December 15, 2023; the final report is due to the transportation committees of the legislature and governor's office by June 30, 2024.